The former ‘Game of Thrones’ star is going to be back on our TV screens! Learn more about British actor Finn Jones here.
Finn Jones is officially joining Apple TV+’s Dickinson! The 32-year-old is starring alongside Hailee Steinfeld in the next installment of the comedy-biopic, inspired by the life of famed American poet Emily Dickinson. Finn will be playing Samuel Holmes, the cocky editor of newspaper The Springfield Republican who takes an interest in publishing Emily’s work.
“I’m always looking for new voices,” Finn’s character says in the trailer, which dropped Dec. 21. He then asks Hailee’s Emily ,”How do you want to be remembered?” Finn — who has previously acted in Game of Thrones — looked right at home in the 1800s set series. Learn more about the new Dickinson star right here!
1. He starred in a Marvel series. Finn was the lead on Netflix’s Marvel series Iron Fist, playing Danny Rand from 2017 – 2018. In the superhero show, Finn’s character channelled a mystical magic force — called the Iron Fist — and demonstrated other-wordly martial arts skills.
“I looked up the character, because I had no idea about the character in the comic book,” Finn confessed in a 2017 interview with Vulture. “But when I was auditioning, they were super-tight about it all. They had dummy [script pages] and they wouldn’t send me a script…I think they were just really looking for an actor that they could see best resembling what they had in mind for Danny Rand. So I was really just winging it,” he added at the time.
2. He was also on Game of Thrones. Finn is familiar to many from his role on the epic HBO series based on George R. R. Martin‘s fantasy books. The 32-year-old played Loras Tyrell from 2011 – 2016 on the show, who dies when Cersei burns the Great Sept to the ground. GoT fans have applauded Finn for more-or-less predicting how the series finally ended in 2019 — including the destruction of the Iron Throne itself.
“You need to get rid of that Throne. That’s what I’d like to see at the end of the series, but that’s very utopian,” he said back in 2015, also correctly theorizing that the power would go to Bran Stark. “My hope for Westeros is that Bran dissolves the Iron Throne; he gives the power back to the individual realms. Him, his Small Council, which would be Brienne, Tyrion, and maybe some of the Tyrells, because I’m biased. But they try to keep the peace, after this devastating war has struck Westeros and killed a lot of people,” Finn pondered.
3. He’s British. Finn was born on March 24, 1988 in London, England. He was adopted by his parents at 2-years-old after spending his early life in foster care.
4. He’s real name isn’t Finn. While we all know him as Finn Jones, he was actually born Terrence “Terry” Jones! He changed his stage name to avoid confusion with Terry Jones, a member of the comedy group Monty Python.
5. Finn is also passionate about music. Finn has previously described himself as an actor and music lover. But he doesn’t just love music, he makes it too! In addition to being part of a London-based collective called Human Effort, he’s also a DJ himself. Although he has only shared one song on his Soundcloud page, it’s more than an hour long, so there’s plenty of Finn’s music to Jam to!